Friday, February 9, 2018

School-Age: Toads

Our topic this week was toads!

1. Reading
We read the book "The Toad" by Elise Gravel.



I loved this book but I wasn't sure, initially, how it would be as a read-aloud. But the kids LOVED it and thought the gross facts were wonderful (as they usually do!).

2. Discussion
The book shared some illustrations of a variety of strange toads. I showed them pictures of the Emei mustache toad, Venezuelan pebble toad, and others that were in the book. 

Then we talked about a variety of toad facts and trivia that I compiled from the book and from different other sources. 

3. Craft
We created frog fly-catchers. A librarian at a nearby branch had shared a similar craft that she had done. I decided to make my own version. 

The frog fly-catchers are made out of toilet paper rolls. I painted a bunch of them green prior to the program but ended up also offering plain brown ones to the kids since I had an over-abundance of attendees at my earlier program this week.

I printed out frog arms and legs on green paper, and the flies on white cardstock.



I had them knot both ends of the red string which helped keep the string in the bottom end of the frog, and helped the staples have something to catch onto when we stapled the fly to them.



Notes:
The kids LOVED the toad book, loved learning all the interested toad and frog trivia, and absolutely adored the fly catchers. It is always great to have a craft that turns into a game/toy as well! It was a huge success and turned out to be one of those programs that you find is a favorite.

No comments:

Post a Comment