Saturday, December 2, 2017

School-Age: Thanksgiving

I was on vacation one of the last weeks of our programs this session, but Ms. Carol presented our program on Thanksgiving. I had found the craft last year and made a program around it because it was too cute not to!

1. Reading
She read "The Thank You Book" by Mo Willems. I love Mo Willems and have yet to find a kid that doesn't. This is also a (in my opinion) more fun option over reading a holiday Thanksgiving picture book.



2. Discussion
They talked about what being thankful means and what they are thankful for.

3. Craft
The craft I found was a Thankful Turkey Box on the I Heart Crafty Things blog. It uses an square tissue box, wrapped with brown paper, turning it into a turkey. You glue colored feathers on the back and a turkey body on the front. After you decorate, kids can use the box to write notes about what they're thankful for.

Here's Ms. Carol's example:

She added a Santa hat this week to make him more festive, so we could keep him out on display for a few more weeks.  


Notes:
I was sad to miss this particular week since I was so excited about the craft but it was perfect for the Thanksgiving holiday this year. I suppose going on vacation every so often is just as important :)!

No comments:

Post a Comment