Friday, November 3, 2017

School-Age: Monsters

To get into the spirit of the holiday, we learned about monsters this week!

1. Reading
This week we read "Quit Calling Me a Monster" by Jory John. This was another of those books that I did not quite enjoy when I read it the first time BUT when I read it to the kids they loved it. Sooo, I have re-evaluated my opinion of it and bumped it up a star on Goodreads.




I loved that the monster in the book preferred to be called "Floyd Peterson". It was hilarious and reminded Ms. Carol and I about the book we read at our Halloween party last week - "Monster Museum". One of the poems in that book talked about how Frankenstein hated being called by the name of the doctor who created him and he wanted his own name. 

2. Discussion
We talked about different 'monsters' from pop culture and literature. I created a flash card game and tested their knowledge of different monsters. We had monsters ranging from the Cookie Monster to zombies and Big Foot. 

3. Activity
We played another form of BINGO again this week. It was vastly different than last week's BINGO so I didn't feel bad about a repeat activity so soon after the last BINGO game. 

I found a Monster BINGO on Grandma Ideas and used that during the program.

4. Craft
Everyone got to make their own monster's this week! Somewhat Simple had a printable build-a-monster kit. It was the perfect craft this week and the kids LOVED coming up with their very on 'Floyd Peterson's' to take home with them this week.


No comments:

Post a Comment